General Position Summary:
The purpose of this position is to deliver material to customers in an efficient and timely manner.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- To operate assigned vehicles in a safe manner.
- Demonstrates an in-depth mechanical knowledge of the tractors in an accurate and timely manner.
- Perform daily safety checks on assigned vehicles in an accurate and timely manner.
- Completes all required DOT logs in an accurate and timely manner.
- Turn in all required paperwork to the office at the completion of each trip in an accurate and timely manner.
- Keep assigned vehicles clean at all times.
- Check vehicle daily to ensure the proper load and safe operation is possible.
- Informs the dispatcher via telephone or radio when leaving the destination with a load, after unloading, after each stop, and when requesting information about additional loads in an accurate and timely manner and after the last stop.
- Accepts all loads assigned in a prompt and professional manner.
- Picks up assigned loads on time. Notifies the dispatcher if anything is going to prevent the driver from picking up the load on time.
- Secures all assigned vehicles and loads against theft and vandalism in an accurate manner when leaving the vehicle unattended.
- Verifies vehicle fluid levels daily and maintains all fluids at the prescribed levels. Purchases lubricants, oil, and anti-freeze as required and refills the vehicles as required in order to ensure that positive fluid levels are maintained at all times.
- Complies fully with customer pick-up and delivery rules in a professional manner.
- Secures loads on trailers in a safe and efficient manner, and in accordance with established loading instructions.
- Ensures loads are not damaged prior to transit or in transit.
- Efficient in the application of tarps to loads.
- Maintains CDL (if applicable) in an up-to-date and valid manner at all times.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Manager of Operations such as helping in the yard with customers and any other yard duties.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding and complies fully with all rules, regulations, policies, and procedures that are included in the Federal Motor carrier Safety Regulations manual.
- Operates tractors in a fuel cost-saving mode at all times which includes but is not limited to reducing idling time, operating vehicles at an average of 58 mph or less, use progressive shifting, and other techniques proposed by the Manager of Operations.
- Ensures that required registrations and authority certificates are physically present in the truck prior to any operation and that all paperwork is current.
- Ensures required load protection equipment (tarps, straps, chains, etc.) are physically located on a trailer prior to picking up any load.
- Maintains insurance card in vehicle at all times.